What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Thursday, May 20, 2010

Thank you science!

Today, in school, my kids learned about chewing gum and why it doesn't dissolve in your mouth. I had Kevin buy two kinds of gum so we ended up with Trident Layers and Juicy Fruit - the first is sugarless and the second has sugar. The kids were so excited - and I really mean EXCITED - to be able to chew gum. They raved about how good it tasted and just went on and on. We answered the questions and I laughed because of some of our answers. One of the questions asked, "What's the longest that you chewed a single piece of gum?" Well, for my kids it is about 5 minutes, maybe 10. They aren't aloud to chew it anywhere but at the dinner table. I know you're going to think we are odd, but that's the rule. Candy is eaten at the table, after lunch or dinner, and you don't leave the table until it's gone. So with gum, they don't leave until they are done chewing it, and they don't want to stay there too long so it doesn't last long. Another question asked, "Have you had different experiences with different kinds of gum?" Well, I'm sure they have had different kinds but it's so uncommon (and has been over 4 months since they last had any) that we couldn't think of anything to write. One last question I'll share with you: "What was the gum like after a few hours?" They are kidding, right? I have never (as far as my memory serves me, which may not be good) chewed a piece of gum that long. I just don't chew gum very much at all. I'm not used to it and my jaw gets tired and I get a little irritated with this stuff in my mouth so I don't have it around and we just don't have it. Besides, I'm really afraid of it getting played with and ending up in hair or clothes or furniture and I don't want to deal with that so we stay away from it. It was funny to watch them get so excited over something that most kids probably find very common place. So, anyway, we are off to the backyard to play with the chickens.

No comments: