What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Super Sunday!

It started off like any other Sunday and we made it to Church by 9:45 - it starts at 10 (sometimes 10:05). All the kids sat down and as I walked to the end of the pew both Xiomara and Kemiah, who sit on the end by Daddy, said, "Sit by me, Mommy." They were both doing their best little faces so I had to sit down. Xiomara said, "Dad wants to sit by Ben because he loves him." It was funny. As we sat reverently, one of the members of the Bishopric came over and asked to talk to me. I was actually excited because I knew it would be a calling. He extended the call to be the Second Counselor in the Primary Presidency. Hurray and what fun! Kevin said he would support me so they were able to sustain me in Sacrament meeting. The meeting started on time and I was the first one to stand and share my testimony (if I don't do it early I don't do it at all). A few people later Xiomara and Kevin went up, with Marissa and Ben in tow. They were so sweet! Then we were off to Primary. Kemiah went to Nursery with Kevin and actually ended up doing really well on her own - Kevin was only in there for the first 10-20 minutes. The other kids all enjoy Primary - sharing time and class. This Primary gives out wooden blocks for the Articles of Faith that the kids memorize. My kids were so excited because they have been memorizing them in school and now they could get blocks too! We have been here just 6 Sunday's and Ben and Emily have passed off 1-12! Marissa kept forgetting the first few weeks so she only has 1-4 done but she'll get the others. Xiomara passed off the first one today! What a smart bunch of kids! It is so neat to see their smiles when they accomplish something like that. It was just a really nice Sunday.

I attended my first meeting in my new calling after Church. The Bishop meets with the women leaders to get their perspective on the ward and the auxiliaries they are in charge of. I didn't have much to say, seeing as how I'm new. Then one woman talked about how wonderful the ward is and that it really is a family. I truly understood what she meant but being an outsider to their family I had to pipe up a bit. [Background - there are at least 5 families that are multi-generational. So, you have the parents with at least 2 of their adult children, who have children, in the same ward. And those families are mixing so it really is just a big family, especially when most of them have grown up here and know everyone else like family.] I made mention that those of us coming from medical school may only be here a short time but we need to be welcomed into that family. Callings need to be extended, visiting teaching and home teaching routes assigned, purpose given or they'll just be coming to Church and not feeling the family connection. Fortunately, they all took it well and thanked me for bringing it up. They just needed an outsiders view. I guess I'm too used to Dominica where you show up, give the prayer, give a talk, get a calling and have assignments right away because we can't wait. Of course, we were used to the semester turn over, too. Anyway, it will be a new adventure and I'm excited to learn all I can and serve with the Primary!

1 comment:

Jessie said...

yay! i love primary. :) that will be SO fun for you.