What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

In the new house...

And it's turning me for a loop. It's always hard to remember where exactly I put stuff (especially when half the stuff is still in boxes waiting to be put somewhere). I also have a hard time remember which wall the light switches are located in each room.

Last Tuesday, we closed just fine... we've done it 4 previous times for our own homes and 2 times for apartment buildings that we still own. (We still own two of the homes as well, ugh.) Anyway, it was an uneventful thing really but we were glad it was done. We went straight to the house to clean and work on a few things we knew needed to be fixed. The joys of owning a home. We didn't spend the night in the house for a few days so I made trips throughout the week moving boxes of things in my van. That helped out a lot when the big stuff got moved out on Saturday. We had help and that was so great!

Our first night was not picture perfect - I didn't sleep well, it was sort of cold, when I did sleep I had bad dreams, and I kept checking on the kids to make sure they had enough covers on. Luckily, the next night was better. Now we have vacuumed again, mopped the dining room and kitchen and put away most of the boxes that were in the library and living room so it actually looks great. (All the empty boxes and boxes with stuff I'm not sure what to do with yet are in my school room so we keep that door closed most of the time.) We have already rearranged the kids beds but I think we are set for a while. Kemiah moved into the bunk bed with the other girls and Ben's mattress is back on the floor. (That's where he started out back in Florida when he was not yet 2 years old.) He'll get a twin bunk bed when Kevin goes back to Massachusetts for the rest of our stuff - the bunk bed that Kevin shared with his older brother when they were boys. Anyway, we have figured out the heating issue so we are feeling good. The plumbing is almost done - just need to work on the shower upstairs. The electrical still needs to be tweaked but that might have to wait.

Kevin has done a fantastic job putting the food into the kitchen. He did joke about how I put things away because it's not quite as orderly. In my defense, it was completely different stuff - who can't put cans into a cupboard in an orderly way, but spices and things are a bit different. Anyway... I'm so thankful that my husband is so orderly, hard working and skilled in fixing things. He even fixed my vacuum today so it works every time I plug it in and I don't have to mess with it!

I just wanted to let you know that we are in the new house and things are going along just fine. Now I need to get that box of school stuff out of the garage and get ready to go back to school....... Maybe I should get rid of all those boxes in my school room before we try to have school in there. Anyone want to come and help?
So here we are at the signing. It's the only time I have taken a picture - Kevin laughed.




This is what the kids were doing while we were signing.






2 comments:

Taryn said...

wow, what does this say about my blogging when I totally missed the island roys becoming the michigan roys????? Welcome back to the states! You have been missed here. I hope you like Michigan, where in michigan? Congrats on the pregnancy too that is really exciting, and all the kids will be big enough to help out and that should make it really nice. I need to look more often at your blog, i missed some life changing events.

Travis will be flying c-130 with the associate unit with the guard.

Jessie said...

so, you are collecting homes now?! :) glad to see you are doing well. we miss you guys down here!