What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Friday, August 12, 2011

Interestingly enough.

I've learned a few things the past week.
1. Weeding is hard on my hamstrings.
2. Weed wacking is hard on my arms.

Saturday we all worked in the garden, trying to claim some of the land back from the weeds that I let grow taller than the kids. Fortunately, it was a cool, cloudy day so it wasn't torture. We all worked together and it was actually pretty easy because the ground was damp. That night Kevin and I both commented about our aches. Strangely enough we both had sore finger nail beds. Weird. I couldn't walk without pain for the next several days because my hamstrings hurt so much. I really need to get a stool to sit on while I'm weeding.

Today I got out the weed wacker to do some badly needed edging around the yard, swing set, garage, house, etc. The kids were using the mower to do the back yard. Yes, Ben and Marissa WANT to mow so I have started to let them. Unfortunately, we ran out of gas so they had to stop. I kept going though and my arms are so sore! I remember watching the guys in Dominica cut our entire yard with a weed wacker, gas powered. I have a whole new understanding for that sort of work. Of course, our "yard" was completely dirt after he was done with it but that meant he had at least a month before it was over grown and he had to come back and do it again. It will probably be a long time before I do that again.

2 comments:

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

Yard work is one of those sneaky workouts--I've had that hamstring pain when I've been out there for awhile, too! It HURTS!

Josh said...

I was just remarking about those two very things the other day. One way or the other, there is truth to the line "by the sweat of thy brow ..." :)