What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Thank You and Sorry.

Yesterday, after dinner Kevin mentioned the chickens. I confidently said I had already taken care of them. He pointed out back so I looked out the kitchen window. There were two chickens out of the chicken yard and the hatch that we use to get the food and water was open. I thought I must have just not latched it, so I headed out to close it up. I actually had to toss 4 chickens back into the yard. Once I was in the chicken yard, I found an egg on the ground. I decided to check the nesting boxes to see if they had laid any more. They hadn't. I almost went inside but was prompted to check inside the coop. Some of the chickens have started to lay eggs on the lowest level, so maybe they laid another one there. I almost dismissed the prompting because I have to move a hay bale and some cardboard to access the hole in the coop just so I can get the eggs. I decided to go ahead and check. To my surprise I saw a possum sitting where the eggs might have been. Oh dear. I ran back to the house and hollered for Kevin. He came out and we were able to chase the possum out and then got it out of the chicken yard. I ran back into the house to get my camera - assuming I'd never see it again because it had decided this was not the place to be....


This is what the inside of the hen house looked like - lots of feathers that aren't normally there.


Today, I went out to feed and water the chickens and gather eggs and to my disappointment the possum was back in the same place but had a dead chicken next to it. It was sitting on several eggs as well. (At least it hadn't eaten them.) What was I supposed to do? Kevin wouldn't be home for several more hours! All the chickens were wandering around the yard and I noticed that both the food and water feeders were still full so I had some hungry chickens. I did call Kevin just to get his opinion on the matter. He suggested I try to catch it and put it in an empty trash can so he could help deal with it later. I decided I would need help in taking care of this critter so I went over to my neighbor's house. Fortunately he was home and was willing to get on some boots and come over to help. I gathered some tools that I thought might be helpful. When my neighbor came over I showed him where it was. When he saw where it was he asked, "How would you feel about me shooting it?" I still can't believe what I said... "Would you?!" Knowing that it came back this time I knew there was no other way to stop it from coming back again so my neighbor got his hand gun and took care of the critter. We bagged it, and the chicken, and then I bagged it again. What an adventure (if you can call it that). All my kids ended up outside... maybe I shouldn't have told them what was happening when I asked them for the trash bag.
So, I am thankful that the Spirit prompted me to check for eggs. I'm thankful that I actually listened and obeyed the prompting. I am sorry that we had to kill the possum. I am sorry that my chickens have been tramatized - several of them are sleeping outside the coop tonight.

3 comments:

Jeni said...

what an adventure! I've been wondering if you're still staying warm up there! Glad to see things are keeping you on your toes! :)

Natie said...

Wow! Wasn't expecting to read this when I checked your blog!! You are so brave Jacquelle. I would have been freaking out. Lucky you had your neighbor home to help you!

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

Oh wow! That possum looks so creepy! I'm proud of you for "taking care of business"! I'm pretty sure I would have just started screaming and crying if I would have seen that nasty animal :)