What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Sunday, October 23, 2011

You live where?

Oh, we are the two-story salmon colored brick house on the west side of the road. You know, the one with the wood wall around it. We've heard the neighborhood is going bad so we wanted to protect ourselves. Just kidding. The neighborhood is fine. We just know we'll need a lot of wood to keep our house warm through the winter - if it's anything like last winter - and we are being prepared. Last year Kevin built a fort around the garden in the backyard. Much less visible but it was a trek through the snow to reload the basement wood storage area. So we decided to put it out front and see if that was easier. It also makes a great fence for the kids to keep them from going into the road. I just thought I'd let you see how it's going. Of course, we're not done yet, as you can see from the pile of split wood and the other pile of not yet split wood. (These pictures were taken Friday and Kevin did more work Saturday so the yard already looks different than what I'm showing you here.) Kevin has been hard at work gathering all the wood from different locations and then splitting it all. I have split some but my main job has been stacking the split stuff with the kids as my helpers.

Notice what he's wearing... He found a use for those old flight suits he used to wear. That's nice because we have about 20 in a box just waiting to be worn. It makes it much easier to clean up when he's done because most of the saw dust and stuff is on the flight suit and not on his clothes.

These are heavy pieces of oak that he had to cut up just to be able to get them to the splitter. It was amazing how heavy they were, and how big some of them were. That hole in the wall behind him was filled on Saturday so it's now a complete wall. But there is more wood - split stuff on the left side and the rest on the right. I'll post more later.


The wall goes around a ways but isn't quite as tall as it is in the front.

Here's a look at the second portion that is on the other side of the driveway. It will be added to as well, so it will go farther back and we'll see how much we end up using through out the winter.
It was really bugging me that you couldn't see what it looked like now so I went out and took a picture of what it looks like now. You can see we all have a lot of work to do.

4 comments:

Jeni said...

that's a lot of wood!!!!

Josh and Kelly said...

That is hilarious. Hey, sometimes as I'm driving down your road I worry I will be not paying attention and accidentally pass your house, but I think that's possible now!

Jessie said...

you're almost completely fenced in!! i love it!

The Fredericks said...

That is craZIness . I love that you have it organized as a fence. Just a little different from the island experience!