What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Sunday, August 17, 2014

Harvest Time

It's that time of year - harvest time! Our garden grew pretty well, amazing really!
This year, we bought the baby pepper plants, rather than trying to grow them from seeds and it made a huge difference. The peppers actually look like the ones I get at the grocery store!
 

Unfortunately, the zucchinis got a little too big but they sure look nice, work fine for bread, and the pigs like them.

The plant got really big, too. I guess it's actually two but it's huge.

Lots of cucumbers - which the pigs and chickens also enjoy - and so do we. I love going out and picking something for dinner.

The cucumber plant all of a sudden started to turn brown and die. I guess that's the end of that.

We thought the pumpkin plant was only growing one but we actually have four - and this is one that just grew from old seeds in the ground. It is much organer now.

We planted lots of potatoes and some of them have these seed pods or something growing on them. The kids all thought it might be a new breed of plants - a cross between potatoes and tomatoes...

The really fun part is cooking a meal with all homegrown stuff - fajitas with our peppers, onions, and even the chicken is from one of the birds we raised. Awesome!


And of course, with all those peppers, you have to have stuffed peppers. I figured no one would like them but we all liked them. I did need some of the extra filling because there was just a little too much pepper but it tasted rather good!


Monster zucchini from the garden - it weighed in at 7 pounds! The girls had a good time taking lots of pictures. Just had to show you that it's as long as my thigh.




Our tomatoes are finally turning red, all at the same time, of course. This particular night I made stir fry (without tomatoes) but those peppers are really big.


It has been fun but I'm not looking forward to harvesting and storing all the potatoes. I think I'll can a lot of them to use for soups and stuff through the winter. You just gotta love the harvest!

No comments: