What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Friday, April 4, 2014

What have we done?

Remember when I told you about hatching our own eggs? We had one successful one hatch and that was exciting. Then we stopped by Tractor Supply Co. on my birthday... Kevin decided we would try to actually raise and eat Cornish hens. Well, he didn't decide that until a couple days later so he came home with 10 Cornish hen chicks. The day after, we had another one of our eggs hatch! It went much faster this time and I got video instead of pictures. It was amazing - almost like giving birth but not quite. I took the newly hatched chick to be with the others, except that I put it in a small shoe box. I just wanted to get it under the heat lamp to keep it warm. When I checked on it later, there were two other chicks in the box with it. Later on, Kevin decided we really should separate the Cornish hens from our chickens because they should be eating different food, so he put the wall between them. The newest chick is alone by the wall. It is fun to see all the little balls of fur and to hear them cheep. I sure hope this new adventure goes well. We found a butcher in a town not far from us so at least we don't have to do it ourselves. I'll keep you posted.

No comments: