What have I done for someone today?
Have I done any good in the world today?
You will never regret a kind deed done to someone in need.

Friday, November 12, 2010

What to do?

While Emily was writing in her journal tonight, she stopped and said to me, "Mom, I just caught myself being unspecific."

We have really been working with them being more specific when they ask for things, talk about things, answer questions, write in their journals, and so forth. I just thought it was funny to hear her say that from across the room.

I also realized my kids lead a very task oriented life. We expect them to do things right away - good, it helps them to learn to use their time wisely. Bad, they don't have much fun enjoying simple pleasures of daily activity. Example: Before Emily sat down to write in her journal she was "wasting" time by tilting the chair back on two legs then letting go so that it fell forward. She did it several times and I was just getting annoyed because she wasn't just sitting down in the chair to do the task at hand. Then she looked at me with a big smile on her face and said, "Look, Mom, the chair can walk." she did it again to show me that the chair would "walk" as she dropped it and it bounced forward. I felt bad when she slinked into her chair because I was looking at her in a "sit down and get to work" sort of way. I smiled and she smiled. I wonder what way is the right way? Do I worry about right or do I worry about better? Are they the same? How many of these things will work them selves out as the kids get older and mature and how many of these things do we really need to work on to make good habits as early as possible?

5 comments:

Josh and Kelly said...

When I was teaching, I noticed my class ran a lot smoothier and we were all happier when we had a little fun and laughed some in between tasks. They learn how much is too much and after a little laughter they actually settle down into the task better.

Nick and Jesse Coleman said...

Don't you wish kids came with instruction manuals?! It would make things so much easier :) In my opinion, kids are only kids for a little while, and I think sometimes you just have to let them have a little fun and learn to find enjoyment in the little things, as you said. From very personal experience, I feel like if parents have too many expectations, kids sometimes grow up to believe that nothing they do will ever be good enough. Just my 2 cents :)

The Fredericks said...

i loved reading the comments you got! :)

Jeni said...

can you bring your kids down here and let them rub off on my kids?? My kids don't have any urgency when we ask them to do things. It's probably me though, any secrets you might have???

Chelsie said...

You are a great Mom and your kids have great habits. My suggestion: Moderation in all things. There are a lot of good habits to learn but I think that one that is often over looked is taking time to enjoy the simple pleasures of life. : )